Monday, August 24, 2009

The constant Tuscan gardener

Found a farm to work on for a couple of weeks. It is called Ebbio, a meditation and yoga retreat with vineyards, olive groves and surrounded by forests. The farmhouse here was built in the 1200's. I am the gardener here. I also feed the donkeys, horses, ponies, chooks, dogs and cats. Spend a lot of time watering the garden, as it never rains. The meals are strictly vegetarian and taste amazing. My host Nirdosh is a very good cook. I live in a caravan that overlooks the vineyards and olive trees. The farm is located on an ancient volcano site, so everywhere I look I see mountains of trees. Heaps of rocks here too, the soil is dry and red and you wonder how anything can grow. My local village is a 5 minute drive away called Monteriggioni. The village is within the walls of an ancient castle. Siena is about 10kms away, I hope to visit it very soon, once I get a break from raking up leaves.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Jem - Look forward to seeing you for Chrissy bra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet bra. Hope the swell is pumping down there in Noosa ay bra. Hopefully I can sort out some tickets home soon ay. Got some more peddling to do first though bra. I wonder if anyone reads these posts? Hope not ay bra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like the gardening here is an interesting part of your trip. I'm still envious. Hope you enjoy Siena, it's a favourite of ours. If you go there on a Sunday, there's a tourist steam train that runs on Sundays through the countryside, hop on, hop off. I think it's run by train enthusiasts: http://www.ferrovieturistiche.it/p.asp?p=etrenonatura.asp
    Frank G
    I am off to Vietnam in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang. That sounds amazin Jez, and I notice some Partick White in your descriptions. Hope the journal is overflowing.

    Buona fortuna!

    ReplyDelete