Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Scotland cont.

My walk through the Scottish Highlands started in an outer suburb of Glasgow. I was looking forward to getting away from the cities for a while and to smell some fresh mountain air. The first day I jumped out of the blocks pretty quickly and walked 21 miles (about 30kms?). I wasn't to do that again for the rest of the walk. I finished the full 94 mile walk 6 days later, limping into town with bleeding feet and very sore shoulders, carrying a bit too much on my back. I camped most of the way by Lochs or in forests. Ate a lot of noodles and cup a soups, but generally made sure I had 1 large meal and a pint at the pub every day. The midgies were in plague proportions - midgies are small insects that bite any exposed skin, it was a constant battle against them, they were worse than the flies in country Victoria. It was a beautiful walk though, the mountains were amazing, the views breathtaking. One of the pubs dated back to 1705, complete with barstaff in Kilts - though their Aussie accents took some shine off the authenticity of the whole experience. Treated myself to a B&B on the last night in Fort William.

2 comments:

  1. The Raichler's are holding up well, although I almost twisted my ankle a few times. Didn't really get to test out how waterproof they were as it barely rained during the walk.

    ReplyDelete