Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Constant Tuscan Gardener - Part 2







I fall asleep in my warm caravan to the sounds of Wild Boar grunting and snorting in the forests around me. The 4 dogs have grown to accept me as their new master and sleep under my caravan every night, responding to the Wild Boar with bouts of aggressive barking. I awake to the sound of donkeys calling for their morning feed of mixed grain. Once the animals have been fed I eat some breakfast and recommence my duties for the day, usually consisting of raking up fallen leaves and watering the garden. After a lunch of pasta and vegetables, I rest in the hammock surrounded by tall evergreens, do some reading and fight off mosquitos. Sometimes I fall asleep. The break after lunch is about 2 hours and I normally just rest as the sun here is relentless. Still no rain. Sometimes I take a trip into the local gelateria and indulge in a cone with 3 flavours of gelato. I have read 2 Hemingway books here, Fiesta and A Farewell To Arms. I feel less guilty sipping on a Cinzano and tonic at the end of the day after reading these books. Enjoyed a Reiki session the other day and also joined a meditative dance session which involved standing up and spinning around in circles for 30 minutes staring at the palm of my hand. The leaves fall from the trees with the slightest of breezes and I await with rake in hand to fill my barrow. I finish here on Sunday and ride into Siena where I will look forward to a long sleep in. The time on the farm has been fantastic though, I have met many lovely, gentle people, some of whom I will remain in contact.
I have included some more photos from a few weeks ago...

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy,
    You've earnt a delicate pastry and wonderful caffe latte at Nannini's in Sienna - infact, have one for me.
    Enjoy, Ros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ros, I just indulged a Paneforte? Not bad. Good to be in Siena for a couple of days. Sorry I won't be able to catch you in Turkey, I am heading north soon to Austria and Germany.

    ReplyDelete