Saturday, September 26, 2009

Stromboli











I finally made it to Sicily, via the island of Stromboli. Home to several restaurants, bars and an active volcano, Stromboli is an odd little place. Not a great deal to do on the island, but I guess that is why people go there, it is very chilled out. The main activity

on the island for tourists is to climb the volcano and admire the occasional eruption of lava during the night. I didn't get a chance to do this as there was cloud covering the volcano for the 3 days I was there. I did some smaller walks around the volcano, even heard an eruption at one point which was something, not nothing. The rest of the time I swam, ate, slept and asked locals when they thought the wind would stop blowing so that the ferries could access the hundreds of stranded tourists, me included. I stayed in a house in the village, coincidentally owned by John from Melbourne, East Doncaster to be exact. He and his wife have been spending each summer on Stromboli for the past 30 years to avoid the Melbourne winter.

1 comment:

  1. Sounding good Jem.
    But forget the pyramids, how the hell did they build that thing on top of that steep rocky island??? Went to the cats vs st.kilda grand final and had a great day as you would imagine.. at one point i was standing having a beer with a friend and realised the guy and girl standing right next to me was Billy from the reds/Leongatha and his girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete